CCIE RS Lab – Week 14

Hours studied: 11.5

Took family to Story Land so only did some light studying for the long weekend. I’m been struggling with focus and motivation lately. Getting back into the studying groove is difficult, need to get my routine back.

Sunday

Flashcards

Family time

Monday

Flashcards

Family time

Tuesday

INE Multicast videos

Started INE Full Scale Lab 3 – got to section 2.1

Spent my time working on verification and interupting what was being asked. A few simple things tripped me up

  • How to set the the age time for storing the most recent BPDU
    • spanning-tree vlan # max-age (sec)
  • Not being as specific as possible in some of my configuration
  • Need to remember to account for every switch when told not to configure a switch for root placement. This comes to the interuptation that I need to account for the non-root switches and set their configuration even though they are not being selected root at that time
  • PPPOE configuration
    • I read this as using ip unnumbered on the dialer interfaces and virtual-templates, but the solution guide showed moving the ip address off the physical port and onto the virtual port. After I did this config I did see the duplicate IP address which made me re-think, but I need to practice this more

Wednesday

INE multicast videos

Thursday

INE multicast and DMVPN videos

Friday

INE DMVPN videos

INE Full Scale Lab 3 – I’ve been breaking this lab into chunks instead of tackling it in one sitting. For this sitting, I was able to get through most of the IGP setup. There wasn’t anything particularly difficult, but I still got tripped up on some simple things such as:

  • route-tag notation dotted-decimal
    • global config
  • eigrp default-route-tag
    • Couldn’t remember where this command was applied in the named configuration mode

The thing that did get me was the OSPF multi-area that’s done under the interface configuration

The solution guide pointed out that this is referenced in RFC 5185, which I need to read and understand fully

Saturday

I continued with INE full scale lab 3 – I took my time again to go through verifications and try to better understand. The major take away from this was READ THE REQUIREMENTS CAREFULLY. The tasks were worded with double negatives or backwards from how I interupted from a first read. My errors were only found though when I was checking my work against the solution guide to find that I did things backwards.

These tasks were also very time consuming. The BGP configuration made me use peer-session and peer-policy which added a lot of typing and made the hierarchy of the BGP configuration more confusing. This along with typo’s slowed me down a lot.

I was able to complete all the BGP and MPLS configuration during this 6 hours of rack time. Some of my lessons learned are listed below:

  • Practice BGP configuration with templates
    • Fully understand what goes under session and what goes under policy and where each gets applied
  • Hidden command – bgp best-path as-path multipath-relax
    • Use this for BGP load balancing / multi-path
    • Maximum-path #
  • BGP auto-summary
    • This came from understanding the requirements more clearly. I first read this as using an aggregate address, but after re-reading the requirements (after I already configured everything) I found that no additional prefixes should show up in the bgp table.
    • Using auto-summary along with redistribution meet this requirement, but something I need to get better at seeing before I waste time on a configuration
  • DMVPN gave me problems when I went to enable MLPS across it, OSPF neighbors formed, IPSec SA’s were right, but MPLS neighbors wouldn’t work. Rebooting the hub routers fixed this, believe it was an order of operations problem. I also needed to bounce the spoke tunnels multiple times to get the results
  • MPLS routes did not work until I enabled next-hop-self on the route reflectors, believe this is because labels were not getting applied for the for the 2 PE routers that needed to communicate.
    • Control plane looked like it worked, but data plane was broken because of the missing label
    • Using Nick’s MPLS verification method helped me track this down. I need to revisit this though as I couldn’t remember everything I needed to check from the top of my head
  • 2547oDMVPN – this came up in the solution guide. Need to research this further

I decided after going through all this to stop at the multicast section as that is a weak area for me and I want to be able to take my time with this. My thoughts around this lab it that it’s very difficult and is testing my knowledge. This will be a good one to revisit in a month after some more practice of what I have found so far.

Next Actions

I need to start tackling my list of things to reseatch further. It is getting overwhelming from how much I added because I have not gone through it for over a month.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.